Sunday, May 18, 2008

Frances Bavier - 'Aunt Bee'

Frances Bavier was a veteran actress who had many years of credits in features, tv shows and Broadway, from the 1920s onward. In 1960, she landed the role of 'Aunt Bee' on the tv sitcom "The Andy Griffith Show". Her character was the aunt to the main character, 'Sheriff Andy Taylor', played by Andy Griffith, of course.

Ms. Bavier retired from acting in the early 1970s and moved to Siler City, North Carolina. I'd heard she wasn't too friendly to anybody, whether they were fans, other movie industry people, or even the locals in her chosen retirement city. In 1981, an autograph collecting friend gave me her address, and I sent her a portrait photo I'd bought at a NYC collector's shop. The photo was never returned, just as my friend suggested it probably would not be.

Many years later, I bought this photo from a reputable autograph dealer. It's signed to 'Steven' - whoever he was, he was fortunate to have received the photo returned (unless he obtained it in person, on a rare day when Ms. Bavier was in a good mood).

No comments: