Thursday, May 22, 2008

Eubie Blake

Eubie Blake was a composer and lyricist of ragtime and jazz music in the very early 20th century. His long-time collaborator was Noble Sissle, and they performed together for many years starting in the 1920s.

I was familiar with some of their music as I'd heard some old recordings. In late 1969 I found out they were still alive and both living (not together) in New York. Noble Sissle was listed in the NYC phone directory so I called him and talked for a few minutes, telling him of my appreciation of the music of Sissle and Blake. When I asked for an autographed photo, he told me that Mr. Blake took care of those things, and he gave me his address.

I wrote to Mr. Blake, and in a couple of weeks, shortly into 1970, he sent me this solo photo and this one of both.

No comments: