Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Carolyn Jones

I first became aware of Carolyn Jones when she played the role of Morticia Addams on the 1960s tv show, "The Addams Family". Believe it or not, I thought she was beautiful with the long straight black hair and long tight black dress.

It was some time after that show expired, that I began to see her in various tv shows and tv movies as a guest star. She was even prettier out of her Morticia makeup.

In 1981, I'd read a magazine article which mentioned she was living with her boyfriend, Peter Bailey-Britton, in Beverly Hills, or West Los Angeles - in any case, somewhere in that area. I had paper phone directories for the entire Los Angeles area, and I looked up his name, and found a listing. Out of curiosity, I looked up her name. I'd read somewhere that her full name was Carolyn Sue Jones, and sure enough, there was a phone listing for a C. S. Jones, at the same address as Bailey-Britton. For whatever reason, I didn't call her. Rather, I sent her a photo and asked her to sign it. Ms. Jones promptly returned it to me, with a pleasant simple inscription.

A couple of years later, I was saddened to read of her death from cancer. I didn't know it at the time I'd written her, but she was already being treated for it, and in retrospect, it was probably a good thing I didn't call her because it may have been an intrusion.

No comments: