Thursday, February 28, 2008

Anne Jeffreys and Robert Sterling

The first time I saw Anne Jeffreys and Robert Sterling, was in the early 1950s tv series "Topper", which starred Leo G. Carroll as Cosmo Topper. Topper was a banker, and he and his wife lived in a house they bought from the estate of the Kerbys, who were killed in an avalanche, along with their St. Bernard dog, Neil. The ghosts were seen and heard only by Topper, which made for some funny and embarrassing situations.

When I watched "Topper", it was in the early 1960s and the show was in syndication. I'd watch it in the morning before going to school. It was one of my first introductions to "funny ghosts" as opposed to "scary ghosts".

The characters were introduced in the opening narration: "Anne Jeffreys as Marion Kerby, the ghostess with the mostess; and Robert Sterling as George Kerby, that most sporting spirit." Sterling and Jeffreys were married in real life, too.

In 1980, I sent two photos, one of each, to the Sterlings, and within two weeks, I received them back. Both signed their respective photos with a simple but cordial inscription, seen here and here.

No comments: