Saturday, April 12, 2008

Jay Novello

Jay Novello, another favorite character actor, was recognizable in many movies from the 1930s on. His roles varied, but he usually played ethnic-types - Italian (mostly), Spanish, Greek, etc. He was equally adept at playing comedic parts as well as villainous parts. In addition to feature films, he was very active in tv during the 1950s through the 1970s.

Mr. Novello was listed in the North Hollywood telephone directory in 1980, when I sent him a request for a signed photo. I didn't call him, but wrote to the address in the directory. He kindly sent me this photo.

Here's another photo, scanned from a book (sorry the quality isn't the greatest, but I wanted to show this 'typical' portrait of Mr. Novello).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Recently, I saw an episode of the original "Maverick" series called, "According to Hoyle." When I saw Mr. Novello, come on screen, I recognized him from your posting here! He's good in the "Maverick" episode, and he looks more like the "typical" Mr. Novello.

cairodesign said...

Do you have anything signed by him. Jay Novello was my uncle

cairodesign said...

Do you have any more photos on him. Jay Novello was my uncle