Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Barbara Eden - A Beautiful 'Jeannie'

Barbara Eden is well-remembered as the star of the 1960s tv sitcom "I Dream of Jeannie", in which she played the title character, a genie who lived in a bottle until she was released by an astronaut, played by Larry Hagman.

Up until the tv show, I thought genies were males, because they were always played by men in movies. Sometimes they were menacing types, too, such as Rex Ingram's genie in 1940's "The Thief of Bagdad". The only comical genies I'd seen prior to Ms. Eden were in cartoons.

Ms. Eden has been a favorite actress since I first saw her as 'Jeannie'. I've since enjoyed her appearances in many other tv shows and movies.

In the early 1980s, I sent her a photo to sign. It was, of course, of her in costume as 'Jeannie'. She signed and returned it, and also enclosed this 'recent' photo of herself.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great Story! You should post it at www.jeanniejournal.com, over 900 jeannie fans there would love to read it!

Anonymous said...

I guess she made up for all of those years having her belly button concealed by showing some extra cleavage in the 'NOW' photo!